Rhetorical Analysis

My dear Arabic 

Arabic is the source of my identity 

and comfort to my soul 

It is the tie between me and the world I’ve abandoned years ago 

Arabic is love, family, and many more 

It’s the spirit within me that shouts so many unheard words. 

Arabic is not the language of terror but it sure is poetry, science, wisdom, and many more 

It’s my soul protector and the place I run to whenever I miss home  

My dear Arabic, I’m sorry about the things they said about you in my eyes you’re still pure. 

Text #1 Analysis 

The main argument here is that Arabic is much more than what the western world says or thinks about it. Arabic also represents those who speak it. My target audience is the Western world in general, and Americans in particular. Therefore, by saying “it’s not the language of terror,” I’m challenging the stereotype and stigma that leads to prejudice and discrimination. 

In a sensitive topic like this, my purpose isn’t to attack anyone’s beliefs about Arabic or its speakers but rather to give an insight into my point of view. I’m 18, the eldest daughter of an immigrant family, and my parents had to sacrifice living in their country, where communication and other basic needs are much easier, just for me to have a better future. Just for me to come to America to be looked at or treated like a terrorist. I’m criminalized without committing a crime, and I don’t know for how long I would have to say that I don’t have any part of this. I’m sure that most people that stereotype me have never been to an Arab country or at least had an Arab friend, which makes the hate directed toward us pretty much undeserved (Arabs do not equal extremists). 

In the poem, I used repetition of the phrase “many more” in an attempt to emphasize that Arabic is much more than what people or the media say. There are numerous misleading stereotypes, but the worst is the one associated with violence and/or terrorism; it’s like saying all Italians are mafia members or all people of color are gang members. Therefore, I made sure to include examples of what Arabic means to me so people could see the subject from a different perspective. 

I also used pathos to create an emotional connection with the audience. The main technic utilized is the personification of the Arabic language to make it easier for the readers to relate to it. Pathos is the key focus in multiple lines, for example, “it’s the spirit within me that shouts so many unheard words” to reveal the frustration of Arabic (its speakers) in the west due to being mistreated and/or discriminated against in many cases.  

My ethos is found in the lines referring to home (an Arab country). Being part of the demographic when talking about a collective struggle proves credibility. The audience can trust what’s written because it’s a personal account of being an Arab living in a western country.